The Federal Capital Territory Education Secretariat has assured parents in the nation’s capital as schools are set to resume.
This is as parents in the territory expressed concerns over the resumption of their wards following the spate of abductions in Abuja.
No fewer than five residents have been abducted in the last one week in Kwali and Pegi in the FCT.
Some of the parents who spoke with our correspondent raised concerns as a result of the insecurity in Abuja.
A parent in Kuje, Ojo Friday, said he was scared of releasing his child, citing recent abduction in his area.
He said, “My fear is the insecurity in the FCT. It keeps rising and it calls for concern. My child attends a boarding school in Kuje and I am even thinking of changing him to a daily school.
“Nowhere is safe. Last week, gunmen struck in Kuje. Although we have not heard news of school children’s abductions, but as a parent, I am scared.”
Another parent who resides in Gwagwalada, Mrs Aminat Lawal, said, “I am concerned but I do not want our children to lag behind.
“COVID-19 destroyed academic calendar last year. I do not want a repeat of this in 2021. The government must ensure adequate security in our schools.”
Reacting, the FCT Education Secretariat’s spokesperson, Kabiru Musa, said though there were speculations that resumption has been postponed, he maintained that the date remains unchanged.
He, however, assured parents that the secretariat had collaborated with various security agencies to ensure students are safe.
Musa said, “Resumption date remains the same; September 19 for boarding school pupils, while the day schools will resume on Monday, September 20.
“The speculations that the resumption date has been shifted is not true. We are starting our 2021/ 2022 academic year on the stated date and the term is expected to end December.
“All these have been taken into consideration. The secretariat is working hard with the various security agencies and NSCDC as regards our boarding schools, community leaders, local hunters and vigilantes to safeguard our schools. There is no cause for alarm. Also, we are aware of the Delta variant of the COVID-19 virus.”